CRUISE OUR CARRIAGE ROADS IN WINTER
Like to bike in the summer? Why not bike in the winter too? Fatbikes are softer and the wide tires make it possible to ride on the surface of the snow.
Fatbikes are allowed on our trail system as long as the snow surface conditions will allow for safe, non-impactive biking: the snow is too soft if the bike leaves a rut or if you are having trouble keeping the bike in a straight line. Always best to call ahead if you are in doubt.
Want to give it a go? Rentals are available in adult (26′ wheels) and junior (24′ wheels). A trail pass and helmet are required.
Experience the solitude and adventure of winter peddling at Great Glen Trails! Book now for your fatbike to be ready on arrival!
- Ages 6+ Ages Ages 6+
- 2 hours Duration 2 hours
BEST PRACTICES FOR FATBIKING ON GROOMED NORDIC SKI TRAILS
- Fatbikes ONLY — both tires must be wider than 3.7 inches and tire pressure must be less than 10 psi
- Yield to all other users when riding: skiers don’t have brakes but you do!
- Ride on the firmest part of the track
- Do not ride on or in the classic ski tracks
- Leave room for skiers to pass (don’t ride side-by-side with all of your buddies blocking the full trail)
- Allow the trail time to firm after grooming
- Be an ambassador for the sport: stay polite, educate other riders, discourage bad behavior and follow the rules.
- Great Glen Trails reserves the right to restrict fatbike use
Fabikes are not allowed up or down the Mt. Washington Auto Road except for during the Ski, Shoe & Fatbike to the Clouds.